About Red Dragon
Put a Dragon to work on your next burn
The Red Dragon is a helicopter-mounted device that is used to dispense aerial spheres that ignite controlled or prescribed burns. Its primary function is to inject a measured amount of ethylene glycol into Dragon Eggs (which starts a timed exothermic reaction). Then, the dispenser shoots the primed spheres out of the aircraft.
The low-maintenance Red Dragon combines unsurpassed reliability with peak performance. With its larger capacity hopper, the productivity of this machine remains unmatched by any other approved Plastic Sphere Dispenser (PSD). Features such as its quick purge and lightweight design also give it unquestionable safety.
It is controlled using a hand-held remote that allows the operator to select the dispensing speed. This level of control represents a significant improvement over the past, where the helicopter would have to change speed to achieve this result. Also, this rate control enables the dispersal of Dragon Eggs, in perfect concentration levels, to match the terrain below.
The dispenser provides a number of unique advantages over older systems, including:
- Seven different drop rates that can be instantly selected by turning a dial. This is in opposition to older systems that only offered four speeds and were prone to jamming when changing speeds;
- A micro-processor controlled motor and feed gates that stops spheres jamming with automatic jam detection and clearing. (For anyone who has used an older system, this feature couldn’t have come soon enough);
- Fixed-displacement pumps deliver the same amount of chemical, no matter what speed you select;
- A safety system that uses a back-up battery to ensure on-board fire protection at all times;
- Variable dispense rate from 25-175 eggs per minute;
- Quick-purge system for maximum safety;
- Maintenance-free for easier operation;
- Smaller size frees up more room inside aircraft;
- A larger hopper for better performance;
- Variable speed settings that can be changed on the fly; and
- No need to manually adjust the glycol levels.
Additional convenience features include a resettable sphere counter, a larger capacity hopper, easy to use drain valves, a user-friendly tethered remote control and a removable base to provide easy installation in various helicopter configurations.
Patent: CA 2679269 and US 8776693
Red Dragon Support
BulletinsRed Dragon Agitator Kit Upgrade InstructionsRed Dragon New Wide Exit ChuteRed Dragon Belly Strap UpgradeRed Dragon Gate JammingRed Dragon Incorrect Installation of Chute Locking NutsView All Bulletins